Subject: Re: power management and related concerns
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/03/2006 20:54:24
On Jul 3, 2006, at 6:31 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> A few ways to make editing XML more friendly:
"From the wild O'Flaherties, O Lord, defend us"...

>     1) provide a vixml  wrapper which takes a DTD and checks for DTD
> compliance before saving the file.  (It would work with a temporary
> file, and could do file locking ala "vipw")
And an edxml.  And an exxml.  And an awkxml.  And an emacsxml.
And a jotxml.  And a picoxml.  And a sedxml.  And a shxml.  And
a cshxml.  And...ugh.

Please stay away from XML for system-level configs, particularly
ones like powerd/sysmon/whosie-whatsis that can take my machine down
from underneath me.  I think XML pretty much rules out quick-n-dirty
shell-fu saving the day in such cases, and I think that might be bad.

Chris <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>.