Subject: Re: Redoing file system suspension API (update)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2006 18:54:09
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 09:19:47AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2006, at 9:02 AM, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
>
> >Was a suggestion of Bill Studenmund if I remeber right.
> >
> >No problem to put the recursion into the lock.
>
> ...at which point you can simply use a lockmgr lock instead of
> rolling your own, and you automatically get the writer-gets-priority
> behavior, etc.

At least as a base.  Lockmgr locks lack the "do I have a shared lock" query.
I need a lock where a thread already owning a shared lock succeeds when
it wants another shared lock.  Last time I looked lockmg locks had this only
for exclusive locks.

--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de - TU Braunschweig (Germany)