Subject: Re: compressed vnd, cgd and encryption
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/27/2006 07:51:07
--fAnX9Hentx8C7RTv

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:04:40AM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au> writes:
>=20
> > and finally I get what you were concerned about: will this work
> > directly with vnd on the cgd device raw, without a filesystem in
> > between?  no. vnd will need a filesystem to hold the file, cgd or not.
>=20
> This has always seemed like a bug or weakness in the "vndcompress"
> implementation.

Absolutely.

> In contrast, if the decompression layer were a separate
> device-to-device mapping (zd?), we could support both modes
> (file->vnd->zd->filesystem and (xxxd->zd->filesystem).=20

Yah.  Alternately/additionally, supporting a filesystem that allowed
compressed files would be good.  The typical usage of this tool is for
compressed liveCD images - and yet apparently there are compressed
file extensions for iso9660.  It's easier to support compressed files
because of the read-only, prepared in advance way the filesystem image
is written.

--
Dan.

--fAnX9Hentx8C7RTv