Subject: Re: ca_activate et al
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@dspfpga.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2006 23:20:54
On Jun 26, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Jachym Holecek wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, "activate" entry points are dead code.
> If so, this would be an opportunity to make kernel images somewhat
> smaller by removing ca_activate and all related logic.

No, they're not dead code.  That entry point can be called from
interrupt context when a device status change is noted on e.g. a
PCMCIA slot.  It is important to mark the device as "dead" so that
e.g. an interrupt handler for the device won't try to access its
registers before the detach entry point can be called (from a kernel
thread).

-- thorpej