Subject: Re: question about COMPAT_PECOFF and its syscalls.master
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/23/2006 11:35:09
--eheScQNz3K90DVRs

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 11:30:13AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 02:58:43PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > I am currently looking at the file src/sys/compat/pecoff/syscalls.master
> > and I noticed that when sys_fhstat was versioned, an equvalent change w=
as
> > made to this file (see
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2006/05/04/0028.html).
> >=20
> > Why? Is this file supposed to exactly mirror the native syscalls.master=
 in
> > src/sys/kern? And what's its purpose? One would naively=20
> > expect to have Windows NT syscalls here, not the NetBSD ones...
>=20
> My understanding of our windows emulation (PEACE) is that we have DLLs
> that reimplement the standard runtime environment using our syscalls. =20
> These DLLs are implemented using standard C, using standard libs. So we
> end up with a libc.dll and so on. I believe these system calls are for
> those compat dlls.

Hmmm... Let me try this again. My understanding of PEACE is that we don't=
=20
emulate Windows system calls, we provide a DLL environment in which we=20
supply calls and DLLs needed to run standard Windows binaries. Since we=20
provide the DLLs, we control which system calls they make, and we chose to=
=20
have them make NetBSD system calls.

Take care,

Bill