Subject: Re: RFC: merge chap-midi branch
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/19/2006 14:59:17
Jason Thorpe wrote:
> I heard a rumor that you're doing some stuff with proplib that may  not
> be appropriate (accessing property objects from interrupt  context) --
> but I have not looked at the code yet.

Hmm, there could be an issue here. With the current code, there may be
calls into proplib in process context (if a raw midi device is being
written) or in a callout (if writes are through the sequencer).

I just re-studied all the proplib man pages to see where I missed that
this was inappropriate; I did find one comment in prop_object.c that
assumes there will be no calls from interrupt context.

Could I talk you into documenting the actual correctness conditions that
are presupposed for use of proplib?  Then I can think on what to do about
it.

Thanks,
-Chap