Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/2006 09:17:54
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>
>> Why don't you make them wrapper functions which prepare struct softc?
>> How about structures like this?
>
> I think it would be a good idea to get away from creating fake softcs.
>
> -- thorpej

I'm trying to understand what you mean by this comment; particularly in
the context of this discussion.  Specifically, are you saying its a bad
idea to initialize a softc that isn't really a softc (as Tsutsui-san
suggests), or that it is a bad idea to use some pseudo-softc structure
(ala struct com_regs) like I've done?

Personally, I find the idea of initializing a softc structure with a
bunch of stuff in it that won't be used (and maybe isn't initialized)
ugly -- and possibly error prone.  (Some assumes they are dealing with a
normal softc and prints sc_dev.dv_xname, for instance.  Is that
initialized to a sane value?  Who knows?)

I think my approach is still pretty sane.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191