Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2006 09:45:51
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> garrett_damore@tadpole.com wrote:
>

>> Note that the handle and tag are cached in local variables.  It was
>> harder to do this cleanly in the new code with register access macros,
>> so my new code looks like the following.  Ultimately, there could be a
>> performance impact depending on how smart the optimizer is:
>>
>> struct com_regs {
>>     bus_tag_t iot;
>>     bus_handle_t   ioh;
>> #ifdef COM_REGSMAP
>>     bus_size_t map[16];
>> #endif
>> };
>>

> - Why don't you put map[] member to struct com_softc?

Because lots of com routines don't actually have/use the softc.
Particularly stuff that might be used with console/kgdb support.  This
common structure lives in the softc, and can also live outside the softc
for use in code that doesn't have the softc.

> - Where is "COM_REGSMAP" defined in your code?

In conf/files (or rather, opt_com.h)

>   Is it possible to define it only if a particular MD
>   attachment which requires special layout is configured?

Yes.  Stick it in MD config file (e.g. I have it in files.alchemy and
files.atheros, but not in i386.)

> - Do all MD attachments have to initialize map[] array
>   if COM_REGSMAP is defined?

No, there is a default "COM_INIT_REGS" that initializes this for
standard 16550 layout.

>   (I'm afraid it might make cnattach functions more complicated)

Actually, it makes them smaller.  I've already converted a bunch of
them.  Look in gdamore-uart branch.  :-)

>> #define   OUTB(r, o, v)   bus_space_write_1(r->iot, r->ioh, r->map[o], v)
>>

> BTW, I don't like names like OUTB/INB.
> I prefer COM_WRITE_REG_1 or so.

Generally I do to, in new code.  But there were a *lot* of these, and I
was going to have to reformat a bunch of code if I did this.  I figured
this was actually more readable.  I can change it if folks really want
me to -- its easy to do with global subst/replace, but then I have to go
reformat a bunch of lines that will be too long for a single line.  :-)

    -- Garrett
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui

General Dynamics C4 Systems