Subject: Re: com rumblings...
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/15/2006 10:52:25
Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> I'm more interested in this for console type activity.   I suspect
> *most* people only use serial ports for console ports and slower
> peripheral accesses (signature readers, cash drawers, command channel
> for other ICs, etc.)

While that may be true in many cases, I think you'll still find a lot of
people either regularly or occasionally using modems.

I recently moved house, and before I got DSL in my new house, I was
heavily reliant on a serial port to connect to a modem.

Also, don't forget that many newer boxes run their consoles at 115200.
It's also not uncommon to need to transfer data on the console port to
embedded devices, such as firmware upgrades via XModem, or even kernels.
And, I've certainly needed to cut&paste uuencoded files into the console
on occasion.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were people out there using slower
machines for routers etc, and suddenly finding the need to implement a
modem could easily result in the modem being attached to the router.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget