Subject: Re: qtopia
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/07/2006 11:07:44
On Jun 6, 2006, at 10:06 PM, Peter Seebach wrote:

> According to a quick find|xargs file, about 93% of plist files on a
> Mac OS X
> system are XML text.

I think the main user of binary plists in OS X is for app / system
prefs.  Most everything does use XML -- lots of Info.plist files for
bundles, for example.

> I assume they've documented the bplist format, but I'm not sure how
> much anyone
> cares in practice.

They are definitely faster, in part because there is so much less
encoding going on... and also because duplicate objects are actually
flattened and stored only once in the bplist (which also makes them
smaller).

The flattening part is actually the toughest thing to do in our
proplib wrt. bplist support.

-- thorpej