Subject: Re: qtopia
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2006 23:47:29
Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20060607004005.5edd46b9.smb@cs.columbia.edu>, "Steven M. Bellovin"
> writes:
>
>> Is there?  I'm skeptical.  If I understand this properly, it's not
>> something one does very often; in the total system scheme of things, it
>> just doesn't matter.
>>

> Well, hey, we have a data point available.
>
> According to a quick find|xargs file, about 93% of plist files on a Mac OS X
> system are XML text.
>
> I assume they've documented the bplist format, but I'm not sure how much anyone
> cares in practice.
>
> -s

For persistent storage, it probably doesn't matter.  What is more
interesting is when you are building up temporary plists and you are
using them as a communication format between kernel and userland (which
is what is being discussed here.)  For such uses you won't find
persistent files in the filesystem.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191