Subject: Re: 1. uiopeek? 2. hashinit/hashdone?
To: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2006 20:51:58
On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 08:17:27PM -0400, Chapman Flack wrote:

> Thor, how the devil DO you use this beast for non-power-of-two hash
> sizes?  That eluded even me.  FreeBSD's added a separate phashinit
> for that....

You always get power-of-two buckets, unless the implementation has changed
since I last looked at the guts.  You just typically don't _use_ them all,
e.g. by using %prime instead of &mask as your hash function; &mask is a
pretty crappy hash function for a lot of purposes anyway.

The ifaddr hash code does this.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart