Subject: Re: qtopia
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/03/2006 19:44:14
On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 19:35:02 -0400, Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org>
wrote:

> >> Then you should switch resolution as well.
> >> On a TFT that doesn't make much sense though and I think we should
> >> have reasonable support for both cases.
> >
> > Well, if the monitor supports certain modes with >=85Hz vertrefresh,
> > the display driver should as well (if the RAMDAC supports it, that
> > is). On a sidenote, I have my two IIyama VMP454s running at
> > 1600x1200x32 @ 100Hz without problem. As for TFTs, I was under the
> > impression that the analog refresh rate doesn't matter because the
> > internal analog->digital panel converter has no glow decay like a CRT
> > (same goes for the refresh rate of a panel connected via DVI btw).
>
> The point was that it doesn't make sense to switch /resolution/ on a
> TFT

Actually, sometimes that is sane.  More precisely, on laptops with
external VGA connectors, you sometimes need to switch resolutions -- on
both the internal and external ports -- so that you can display on both
simultaneously.  I did that just yesterday (using xrandr) when giving a
talk -- my laptop is 1400x1050, but the projector preferred 1024x768.  It
looked *ugly* on my screen, but I could read it, as could the audience via
the projected image.