Subject: Re: qtopia
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/03/2006 22:01:15
On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 04:43:16PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> I'm thinking about machines where the firmware sets up the graphics
> display, usually whatever resolution it considers 'native' in 8 bit. I
> see no real reason to switch to something higher just for text display
> - - on older hardware using more than 8 bit may be considerably slower -
> that's why I want colour depth switching. Leave the display timing,
> resolution etc. alone.

Except that some of us can't look at CRT displays with refresh rates
below 85Hz without seeing 'large area flicker' - which hurts.

There are also problems where the code that decides which resultions
(and refresh rates) the monitor supports gets it wrong.
Later versions of X are particularly annoying since they don't seem
to let you directly set the refresh rate - leaving you with too high
a refresh rate for a cheap LCD panel.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk