Subject: Re: error message while starting init
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/2006 00:08:14
On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:57:11PM +0100, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I get errors like this
>
>   exec /sbin/init: error 14
>   init: trying /sbin/oinit
>   exec /sbin/oinit: error 14
>   init: trying /sbin/init.bak
>   exec /sbin/init.bak: error 14
>   init: not found
>
> I suppose this number 14 was taken from errno.h and means EFAULT?

Yes

> While there is a file /sbin/init, there are no files /sbin/oinit or
> /sbin/init.bak on this md disk. I wonder why the error is not 2 (ENOENT)
> for those last two.

I got something similar when the VM was not quite right on Xen-3. When
starting init, the kernel forks() from proc0 and this new process will
do all the work of searching the binary and load it. Getting a EFAULT here
means that this process got a segfault somewhere, and as it's not
really in kenrnel context it doesn't panic.
It could, for example, gets a fault while trying to read the filesystem.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>