Subject: Re: two disks, two controlers, same bad block
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2006 12:04:42
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:00:51PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:58:03 +0200, Manuel Bouyer
> <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:53:25AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > >
> > > The badsect will grab the sector, but is the problem exactly that
> > > sector or all sectors past that point?
> >
> > Exactly this sector.
> >

> Then badsect(8) should do exactly what's desired.

But why would one want to use it?  There is nothing wrong with the
sector in question; the drive has a hardware bug that requires one
to start issuing LBA48-format commands one sector earlier than should
be necessary.  Adding the quirk to the table achieves precisely that,
without mysteriously losing one sector from the drive.

It is not as if one can access the _rest_ of the drive without using
LBA48 commands, after all; it has many blocks above the 32-bit limit,
not just one.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart