Subject: Re: hardware compatability Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/2006 16:13:27
--zbGR4y+acU1DwHSi

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:06:49AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 12:42:56PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> >On Thu 16 Mar 2006 at 22:04:52 -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> >> the keyboard work?  Or, kernel options to try? The installer
> >> kernel does work, but there is no dmesg there.
> >
> >more /kern/msgbuf
>=20
> That was one really valuable piece of info! thanks.
>=20
> I photographed and stitched the screens
> http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/notes.html
>=20
> It looks like two boots, which I don't understand, is the kernel
> booted twice when starting the installer from cdrom? anyway here
> are the interesting lines:

There probably was the initial boot to the CD rom, then another to the=20
installed system. The message buffer is (usually/often) preseved across=20
warm reboots.

> vendor 0x14e4 product 0x166b (ethernet network, revision 0x03) at pci4 de=
v 4 function 0 not configured
> vendor 0x14e4 product 0x166b (ethernet network, revision 0x03) at pci4 de=
v 4 function 1 not configured
>=20
> we've had some difficulty communicating with penguincomputing
> but today I was able to obtain an 'open source network driver'

That's a variant of the Tigon III that I don't think we support right now.=
=20
Check out sys/dev/if_bge.c.

Sadly, I am not the person to add support for this variant of the chip.

=46rom looking at FreeBSD, they don't support it either. The closest thing=
=20
to the product 0x166b I could find is the BCM5714C, which is 0x1668.

Take care,

Bill

--zbGR4y+acU1DwHSi

--zbGR4y+acU1DwHSi--