Subject: Re: MTD devices in NetBSD
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2006 17:50:52
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 02:41:41PM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> The systems that use NAND are likely to have the NAND part
> locked away behind a USB or CompactFlash adapter.

Not really true.  As I said, I've worked with a couple CPUs that can
bootstrap directly off NAND flash.  I assure you that the bootstrap code
in the CPU has nothing so complicated as a USB or PCMCIA/CF driver.  :-)

> If someone believes differently, and that I really do need to be trying
> to address NAND, please speak up now and let me know how to do so.  At
> the moment I want to move forward with NOR before I get discouraged with
> the problems regarding NAND.

There's no particular reason you need to deal with NAND, and if you're
not actually developing on NAND, I wouldn't recommend it, as you'll
likely forget something important.