Subject: Re: hardware compatability Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/16/2006 22:04:52
On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:02:32PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:31:25PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:

>> >I didn't see the SATA controller in your screen shots, but with the BIOS
>> >screen I think that's it
>>
>> I have some board photos I'll try to get online later today, it
>> looks like the devices are on a
>>
>> ServerWorks
>> SWCHT1000S03
>> CC0534 P12
>> EN5411 P
>>
>> and
>>
>> ATI
>> RAGE XL
>> 215R3LASB41
>> DH3630.00
>> 0527AA
>>
>> and some other smaller chips, if there is a phy, I'm not sure
>> which one it is.
>>
>> I've got PXE to NFS working (at least to a dev box outside the
>> server room), I may end up running these nfs root anyway...
>
>So you can have a dmesg from the booted kenrel ? Can you post it there ?

I wish. I built a GENERIC.MP from cvs head this afternoon.

the (3.0, Dec 19, 2005) pxeboot_ia32.bin, boots just as a usb 3.0
cdrom post install on to wd0, sata emulates ide from bios, which
goes all the way to a login prompt. but keyboard and networking
are down. What boot options can I use to get the keyboard to work
on console? I've tried usb kbd in blade, and in kvm; no work after
bios, just like ps2.

I connected minicom to the console on the back and got 'd..' about
every half second, nothing on the serial port to the blade. I
rebooted with pxeboot_ia32_com0.bin, and after the PXE copyrights,
got:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: ...{ok}
CLIENT IP: ...{ok}
GATEWAY IP: ..{ok}

_

and at the underscore, it hangs.

good news is, the new sata driver probes fine! so no
need to emulate ide anymore. these blades use 5400
rpm laptop drives, so I'm still only getting udma-5.
http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/6.network.cvshead.png

I have almost no experience with serial, I just used ' minicom -s'
and configured the device to use /dev/tty00

So, is there some boot options I can try (syntax please) to make
the keyboard work?  Or, kernel options to try? The installer
kernel does work, but there is no dmesg there.  If somebody knows
where I can find that, I'll try to boot the NFS with it tomorrow.
At least that way I can see what it's finding..

The chipset photos and that screen shot are added to the notes
http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/notes.html

If there is anything else to try or look at, please let me know.
Tomorrow (Fri) is the end of hands on, for a little while...

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org