Subject: Re: indirect calls [Re: issues with com and non-PCI platforms....
To: None <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz,>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2006 13:46:52
Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:57:01PM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> Pavel Cahyna wrote:

>>> What can be so slow? An indirect function call, or function calls in
>>> general? And which architectures especially suffer from expensive indirect
>>> function calls?
>>>

>> My understanding, from what others have said, is that the problem is
>> that function calls *in general* are expensive on a VAX.
>>
>> It is mind boggling to me, that we have to design our software to
>> eliminate  function calls where-ever possible, in order to get good
>> performance.
>>

> I do not see where this particular problem is - does VAXen use the com
> driver at all? From a quick look at files.vax, intro(4) and GENERIC, it
> does not seem so.

No, but apparently the same complaint was made about low end 386
hardware.  And in any case, the objections more or less came about as
part of a larger discussion about bus_space stuff, not just com.

That conversation was on the developers list, and hence didn't include
the larger tech-kern@ audience.

    -- Garrett

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/