Subject: Re: issues with com and non-PCI platforms.... a proposal
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2006 10:57:21
On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

>>> Also, folks seem *really* concerned about the performance of these
>>> things.  Are folks really wanting to drive *non-FIFO* older parts at
>>> 115200+?    For newer parts it shouldn't matter that much.
>>
>> Not every platform is N hundred MHz CPU.
> Even a 25MHz cpu should be able to get decent performance with a
> reasonable FIFO.
>
> Yes, there are parts that are *even slower* than 25 MHz, but they
> probably aren't very interesting for running NetBSD.  (They probably
> don't even have MMUs...)

 	Hmm, that would be sun2, many vaxen, most every sun3 and
 	hp300, sun4/100, sun4/200, sparc1, acorn26 ... and more

 	Yes, they are uninteresting to most people, but they tend
 	to act as an (insufficient) curb on some of the excesses
 	of bloat.

 	Personally I'd be happy with the compile time option to
 	select fixed offsets, or to go through the extra table,
 	but as I'm not volunteering code you can determine how much
 	weight that option carries :)