Subject: Re: tape drive instrumentation round 2
To: None <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/06/2006 09:39:31
> Other changes I have made include putting back the "disknames" sysctl
> entry, this now displays the names of the disk drives on the system.
> A new "drivenames" entry displays all the drives (disk, tape and nfs)
> on the system.

nfs is not a drive.
what exactly needs "drivenames", and does it care about nfs?

> I have put a tar file on ftp.netbsd.org under /pub/NetBSD/misc/blymn
> called iostat_patch.tar.gz which contains the patch against -current
> plus the extra files needed - just untar the file in the root of your
> source tree and then apply the iostat_patch, build a new kernel,
> install that, build a new userland to get the modified systat, vmstat
> and iostat commands.

it doesn't seem compilable, given drive_find's prototype and usage.

to me, it seems weird to make disk_* (or drive_*) functions take io_stats.
i think it's better to make disk_* functions call iostat functions internally.
in this way, there is no need to change disk drivers much.

YAMAMOTO Takashi