Subject: Re: Getting rid of BEEP_ONHALT_*
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/26/2006 00:18:37
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:08:49PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> But these will be lost every time you update the kernel.

Then use the kernel options instead - you said you wanted to change the
values (for experimenting) w/o kernel recompilation - the variable will
properly solve that.

> As 1) the feature is optional and 2) sysctl nodes are now dynamic,
> (so no need to mess with userland) I don't see why adding some more
> sysctl nodes could hurt...

I don't realy care - but it looks like realy overkill to have some runtime
changable value that only will be used a single time at shutdown.

There is no harm (for those not using that option) if you want to implement
the sysctl inside the options #ifdef. What was the point of this discussion?

Martin