Subject: Re: Getting rid of BEEP_ONHALT_*
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/24/2006 12:26:10
On 24/02/2006, at 12:18, Takahiro Kambe wrote:

> In message <054C521B-0978-4D1E-B5AB-023D9587B400@gmail.com>
> 	on Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:11:15 +0100,
> 	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I still find this very useful, but I dislike that there are _four_
>> kernel options to set it up:
> Or make them sysctl?  ;-)  I wanted to select beep or not without
> kernel recompile (at shipping point our server to customer).

When I first created the patch, I made them sysctl-able.  But there
was disagreement (how strange!) on how those nodes had to be named
and if it wasn't overengineering.

I agree that being able to turn this feature on/off without kernel
recompile could be good to have.

>> I would like to get rid of the count, pitch and period settings and
>> just leave those default values in the source code.  I mean, does
>> anybody really care about how it sounds?  Is anyone currently
>> changing
>> the default values?
> Yes.
>
> options 	BEEP_ONHALT_PITCH=700	# Default frequency (in Hz)
> options 	BEEP_ONHALT_PERIOD=1000	# Default duration (in msecs)

I'm curious about why you do that...

Anyway, if all those were sysctl-able, would you object in removing
these kernel options and just leaving one to completely enable/disable
the feature?

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/