Subject: Getting rid of BEEP_ONHALT_*
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/24/2006 12:11:15
Hi,

A (long) while ago, I added the 'beep on halt' functionality to
i386 kernels so that after a 'shutdown -h' the machine beeps
several times to indicate a successful halt.

I still find this very useful, but I dislike that there are _four_
kernel options to set it up:

# Beep when it is safe to power down the system (requires sysbeep)
#options        BEEP_ONHALT
# Some tunable details of the above feature (default values used below)
#options        BEEP_ONHALT_COUNT=3     # Times to beep
#options        BEEP_ONHALT_PITCH=1500  # Default frequency (in Hz)
#options        BEEP_ONHALT_PERIOD=250  # Default duration (in msecs)

I would like to get rid of the count, pitch and period settings and
just leave those default values in the source code.  I mean, does
anybody really care about how it sounds?  Is anyone currently changing
the default values?

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>