Subject: Re: kernel option for "socket: Protocol not supported"
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2006 11:05:29
--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:51:03AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> >> I agree here; but note that we surely also have a lot of code that
> >> breaks or at least gives similar error messages if we disable IPv4.
> > The bug is simply that our libc resolver code returns addresses for
> > families that the kernel does not support.  It should check and
> > remove them upfront.
>=20
> I'd disagree, actually.  Not all uses of the resolver are to try to
> initiate communication with, and *definitely* not all uses of the
> resolver are to try to initiate communication with from the current
> host more-or-less immediately after the query.

It's not _that_ bad... you'd  have to ask the resolver, load a kernel
module that implements the protocol, then initiate the connection to=20
see the problem.

But there's another scenario:

You could ask the resolver, then pass the address to a network stack
implemented in userland using, say, bpf.

	-is

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq--