Subject: Re: IPSEC in GENERIC
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2006 15:50:35
On Feb 21, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Yeah, but only if you're prepared to use AF_INET6's ipv4-mapped
> addresses.  It's a non-starter for existing applications which create
> PF_INET sockets and bind()/connect() them to PF_INET addresses.  Or
> for people who want to comment out INET6 from their kernels.

Uh... no.  Regular PF_INET would still work -- the presentation to
the application at the socket layer would be the same as regular
IPv4, but there would only be one code path through the IP complex
itself.

> Besides that .... sure, I guess.  But if we go that route, would we
> have been better off going with the NRL stack in the first place?

There's not really much point in rehashing that.  Focus on making the
changes necessary to move us forward.

-- thorpej