Subject: Re: LKMs (was Re: IPSEC in GENERIC)
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2006 12:54:56
--ZInfyf7laFu/Kiw7

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:37:42PM -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:31:07AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Uhm, you and a few other folks have talked about embedded systems in th=
is=20
> > manner, and I really don't understand it. If you are doing embedded sys=
tem=20
> > work, WTF is your root file system actually coming off of the boot medi=
a?
>=20
> There are multiple ways to do embedded systems.  The method you
> outline is handy for some systems, but is certainly not the only
> reasonable way to do it.

I agree there are other ways to do this and I'm not suggesting we make the=
=20
other methods stop working.

However other folks have used how embedded systems work (or don't work) to=
=20
influence design decisions within NetBSD. My concern is that these=20
discussions really involve a specific method of doing embedded systems yet=
=20
get painted with the broad brush of "embedded." So I think your comment=20
well applies to _everyone_ who has spoken about embedded systems. :-)

What I find vexing is that folks are often discussing pain points and
difficulties regarding "embedded" systems that really have to do with how
they are doing it. Do it differently and you don't have that pain point. =
=20
:-)

You may have other, more significant, pain points, and thus there may be=20
an excellent reason for WTF it's done that way. :-) But then anyone making=
=20
such a system should realize that you made a choice.

Take care,

Bill

--ZInfyf7laFu/Kiw7

--ZInfyf7laFu/Kiw7--