Subject: Re: kernel option for "socket: Protocol not supported"
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2006 15:42:57
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:54:38AM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>In message <20060221192642.GD18891@sta.duo>,
>"George Georgalis" writes:
>
>>I'm pretty sure one of these disabled kernel options below is
>>causing the warning:
>>
>># ssh root@localhost
>>socket: Protocol not supported
>
>Are you sure that your ssh application isn't merely using a rather
>dumb way to tell you that it tried IPv6 connectivity to your target
>before IPv4, that your kernel lacks IPv6 support, and so the socket()
>call failed?

right, which socket/protocol would be really useful for this warning.

>line from /etc/hosts, that should silence this specific problem.  Or
>retrain yourself to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost,
>
>Or perhaps, you're having other SSH problems, and you're trying to use
>``ssh localhost' to diagnose them? If so, what are they?

came about doing anon cvs for pkgsrc/src -- just trying to
eliminate warnings at my site.

>(See also other recent threads over the past 2 days for where I
>propose /etc/rc.conf hooks to disable IPv6 configuration, for reasons
>not-unlike your case.)

On the surface, sounds like a good idea, but I'm biased against ipv6.

Thanks,
// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org