Subject: Re: IPSEC in GENERIC
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2006 02:32:40
In article <E1FBMuX-0005BY-00@smeg.dsg.stanford.edu>,
Jonathan Stone  <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu> wrote:
>In message <dtdhfg$sce$1@sea.gmane.org>Christos Zoulas writes
>>In article <E1FBJUQ-0001TY-00@smeg.dsg.stanford.edu>,
>> <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>Michael, since you have a .de address, do you have difficulty
>>>understanding simple English?
>>
>>This is completely inappropriate and uncalled for.
>
>Christos, I truly, sincerely did not mean to cause any offense.
>Michael and i seem to have difficulty understanding each other's
>position.  I'm wondering if that's due in part to language issues, as
>(as I said in material you didn[t quote) I certainly do take issue
>with Michael's paraprhase of what he thinks my position is.
>
>What's so offensive about asking if language issues are part of that
>mutual incomprehension?

It is the condenscending tone ("simple English") that bothered me.
You have to be very careful when saying things like this because
it is really easy for your audience to take it the wrong way (I did).
Specially if you are doing this in a public list instead on a one
to one exchange.

It is always better to err on the conservative side and blame
yourself: "maybe I am not explaining myself clearly" as opposed
to: "you don't seem to understand what I am saying". This shows
the hospitality of the "home court", since you are the native
speaker.

Or course this all depends on your goals. Do you want to educate/help
your audience or do you want to show off your knowledge and make
everyone else look/feel like an idiot?

christos