Subject: Re: Ordering device probes
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2006 17:47:32
In message <4DFC0148-B050-402D-9DDD-A7DA180B26F7@shagadelic.org>, Jason Thorpe
writes:
>> So, the idea isn't to copy in all the code, but to manually run the
>> probe/attach, then keep the main autoconf phase from configuring it?

>Not manually run probe/attach ... manually run a specific code path
>that avoids even having to probe/attach... its machine-dependent code
>we're talking about, so we can make machine-dependent assumptions
>about the location of devices.

Oh!  So, just hack together an i2c_tag_t suitable for passing to
seeprom_bootstrap_read, given various assumptions I can make on this hardware?

I think what threw me off about this is that the instances I found of this
elsewhere (e.g., armadillo) appeared to feel it necessary to write whole new
functions whose addresses could be stuffed into the i2c_tag_t.

-s