Subject: Re: Generic configuration requests outside of config files?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2006 17:37:03
In message <5A2D8D56-31DC-4477-B258-B835ECA38134@shagadelic.org>, Jason Thorpe
>>> No, it shouldn't.  device properties are the way to handle this.
>>> board_info only serves to propagate platform-dependencies to the rest
>>> of the kernel, which is not what we want.

>> "device properties"?  Can you point me at these?

>if_emac.c already uses them!

... Hmm.  Maybe I'm more confused than I thought.  I thought the property
stuff it was doing was based on the various openbios board_info_set stuff...

... But now that you've pointed this out, one of the things I didn't quite
understand in that setup makes sense, and it's all much clearer.  There's
a translation phase where the openbios info is translated into device
properties, and I misunderstood that code.  (It was made more confusing
because I'm not actually USING one of the openbios systems, so there's overlap
between the special board_info_set and related functions, and the more generic
propdb stuff.)

-s