Subject: Re: Ordering device probes
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2006 15:46:39
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 08:29:19AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> The specific example in question is the TAMS 3011, which has an emac0 (on
> opb0, which is the bus PCI is attached to, and MUST come first), and an EEPROM
> which is not part of the emac0, which probes later, and which is needed to
> correctly attach the emac0.

Could you please explain a little more in detail how the EEPROM is
needed/used/accesses for the emac0 attach function?

Isn't that a local hack too, that other ports using the emac driver do not
need?

Can't you solve the problem by giving obp0 an order hook just like
pci_bus_devorder() for PCI?

I ask because I personally do not like ordering requirements inside config
files. I see your problem, and the question is: what other options are
available to solve it.

Martin