Subject: Re: RFC: vesafb, splash screen, and rasops shadowfb patch
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2006 07:44:01
--idY8LE8SD6/8DnRI

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:33:25AM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> eww... image in a .h file?  How do you convert a normal image file into
> that format?  Isn't there a better way to insert the image file data into
> the kernel?

If you want a splash screen, early, and changeable on a whim, use grub
to load it even before the kernel.  If the kernel, on booting, could
take over the screen without clearing the image, and paint its startup
messages etc over the image left there by the bootloader, it seems
like the best of both worlds.

Assuming splash screens really get you excited.  I'm afraid they don't
get me excited, and I'd prefer to see the probe messages. Over an
image if need be, but I want to see them.

Don't get me wrong though, this is great work and will have good uses:
having a larger 'stty size' on the console, and ddb-from-X, and
killing "options INSECURE" are all much more desirable to me than the
splash screen eyecandy.  I know these all need more work

One question: how does/will this fit with the previous machfb stuff?
Does it supercede it entirely, or will that be a faster underlying
driver for the generic rasops if you happen to have appropriate
hardware?

--
Dan.
--idY8LE8SD6/8DnRI