Subject: Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2006 10:26:37
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:46:14PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>In article <20060118025622.GF31436@sta.duo>,
>George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
>>Tomorrow (about 12 hrs) I'll be doing a NetBSD intro to the users
>>and execs I support at $WORK. A few of the things to discuss I
>>have no first hand experience with and I was hoping for some
>>general feedback from those with direct experience.
>
>You are leaving too little time for this.

Yes, this time is short notice. Fortunately, this is not a last
chance... NetBSD has been talked about for a while, biggest
problem is determining specific concerns so they can considered.

>>Has anyone used linux emulation to run "The Intel Fortran Compiler
>>9.0" on "a system based on an AMD Athlon* or AMD Opteron*
>>processor." Where there issues? How was performance?
>
>I have not tried, but you need to be careful to provide everything
>that the toolchain needs under /emul... What are you using fortran
>for? Have you tried f2c, or the gnu fortran compiler. I am asking
>because it is better to sacrifice some performance in order to be
>running native (because debugging is easier for example).

The Intel fortran is an option we'd like to keep open as it could
become a requirement. We presently use g77. The emulation system
looks pretty slick, I only see suse in pkgsrc. What's the simplest
way to do RedHat or Debian? I can imagine a few ways... I'm just
looking for the big picture here. f2c sounds interesting too, will
have to try that out.

>>I see MatLAB is mentioned on the NetBSD front page, is it "make
>>and play" does anyone have experiences to share, with its install
>>and operation?
>
>I think matlab works well. New versions of matlab require ptyfs.

>>What about SMP? All of our systems are AMD 2x CPU. How does Linux
>>emulation perform with SMP?
>
>Multithreaded support sucks. It will use only one CPU. If you have
>2 separate processes, it will work fine.

Thanks for the info!

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org