Subject: Re: RFC: addition of B_MANAGED and B_NESTED to buf.h and vfs_bio.c
To: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2006 19:23:33
--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 09:42:30AM -0800, jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu wrote:
> In message <E515D5E7-5339-406A-A441-28E60A1364EF@shagadelic.org>,
> Which tends to suggest that the current UDF code probably won't work
> on a wrong-endian host. Has UDFit been tested by moving a single
> physical media device between big- and little-endian hosts?
> Ideally, both write-on-big, read-on-little, and write-on-littel,read-on-big.
>
> If it hasn't, that should be tested and verified to work beforte the
> code is imported.

The current code is still read-only :-/ and allthough it doesn't byswap all
structures in advance it byteswaps the values retrieved from them when
requested. This has to do with the quite `flexible' structures with lots of
concatinated tables and variable offsets etc. Translating them all in one
go would require quite a lot of code and is error prone. I've seen it done
before and believe me, its not a nice thing to do.

My in-kernel UDF implemenation is a re-implementation of
pkgsrc/misc/udfclient only a lot cleaner and simpler. UDFclient has and is
run on 32 or 64 bits machines and is endian-proof.

My in-kernel UDF implementation has been given special care to be
endian-proof.

Reinoud

--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu

--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu--