Subject: Re: Skipping Ontrack Disk Manager drivers
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbert.fernandes@spamcop.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/25/2005 21:54:59
> A couple weeks ago I was lend a hard disk that had the Ontrack
> Disk Manager drivers on it.  These create a fake partition table on
> the first sector of the disk and the real partition table is shifted to
> sector 63 (I don't know if this number depends on something or if
> it is always the same), so I couldn't read what I needed.

First track is reserved. That means the first 63 sectors if each sector is
512-bytes long.

Last track is usually reserved too for historical reasons (the disk head was
kept there when not used and the disk spinning so it would crash there if
the disk had a vertical hit).

The whole first track is reserved.
--
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ;
fsck ; umount ; sleep