Subject: Re: what's it take to get a journaling filesystem?
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: rudolf <netbsd@eq.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/14/2005 17:29:17
Hi,

Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Porting ZFS looks like it would be a fun project, and a lot less effort
> than starting from scratch.  (Plus, having this filesystem in common
> with Solaris is likely to be useful in its own right.)

I have recently seen a lecture on ZFS and if I grasped it correctly, Sun
calls ZFS the disk (or generally the storage) pooling system together
with the filesystem and the manners it's possible to work with it.
Incidentally today I read some documentation for FreeBSD's GEOM
framework and it seems to me that besides the filesystem as such,
everything what Sun is calling 'ZFS' could be done within this BSD
framework.

I am at this moment definitelly not in a state I could compare the ZFS
and it's framework and GEOM, but I want to recommend all the interested
people to look at GEOM. :)

Regards,

r.