Subject: Re: what's it take to get a journaling filesystem?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2005 11:58:42

Sean Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:04:10PM -0500, Michael wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>

>>>Are there any plans to write a journaling filesystem for NetBSD?
>>
>>LFS comes to mind. Supposedly it's usable these days ( in -current ) -
>>no idea if it's usable on half a terabyte though.
>

> Does LFS still have problems when a partition becomes nearly full? I haven't
> talked to Konrad in a long time, nor have I played with LFS in a long time,
> and then it was on a small disk (well, small by today's standards; I believe
> it was a 20GB.)
>
> Performance from LFS was outstanding, but I never pushed the disk beyond,
> say, 60% capacity, and ISTR hearing of troubles with lfs_cleanerd on disks
> that were approaching full capacity.

I thing that ,LFS is loging filesystem so it ha good performance when
you write data on it ,but horibble when you want read them.

>>>Is anyone working on such a thing?
>>
>>Sun released the ZFS source, at least one developer has been playing
>>with it. The license seems to be compatible enough but I'm not exactly a
>>lawyer.
>

> I would be more than happy to give [that developer] root access to a test
> machine to play with ZFS, to assess its viability. Can you relay that
> message for me? :)
>
> In the meantime, I shall play with LFS on this 15GB deathstar I've got that
> I've been meaning to wipe in any case.
>
> -Sean

I thing that NetBSD users can make some donations to NetBSD foundation
for writing new journalig filesystem or porting new ZFS to NetBSD.

- --
Adam Hamsik
tel.c 0904 937 495
ICQ 249727910
jabber haad@jabber.org
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand
binary numbers, and those who don't.