Subject: re: Bluetooth protocol code
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2005 07:42:44
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, matthew green wrote:

> is there legal reason that the microcode/firmware can't be in
> the kernel?  or the source tree?  it should only go into
> pkgsrc if it is absolutely necessary (eg, like the intel
> wireless firmware.)  users shouldn't need to install pkgsrc
> to make devices work in the normal case.

I did not check - this 'legal issue' I have copied from FreeBSD and BlueZ
protocol stacks. The firmware is copyright of 3Com certainly though
whether they have objected to it being included in open source software or
if nobody has asked I do not know. Does anybody know anything about 3Com
policy and/or have any contacts there?

iain