Subject: Re: what's it take to get a journaling filesystem?
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/2005 23:24:26
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:04:10PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Are there any plans to write a journaling filesystem for NetBSD?
>
> LFS comes to mind. Supposedly it's usable these days ( in -current ) -
> no idea if it's usable on half a terabyte though.

Does LFS still have problems when a partition becomes nearly full? I haven't
talked to Konrad in a long time, nor have I played with LFS in a long time,
and then it was on a small disk (well, small by today's standards; I believe
it was a 20GB.)

Performance from LFS was outstanding, but I never pushed the disk beyond,
say, 60% capacity, and ISTR hearing of troubles with lfs_cleanerd on disks
that were approaching full capacity.

> > Is anyone working on such a thing?
>
> Sun released the ZFS source, at least one developer has been playing
> with it. The license seems to be compatible enough but I'm not exactly a
> lawyer.

I would be more than happy to give [that developer] root access to a test
machine to play with ZFS, to assess its viability. Can you relay that
message for me? :)

In the meantime, I shall play with LFS on this 15GB deathstar I've got that
I've been meaning to wipe in any case.

-Sean