Subject: Re: twe status queries?
To: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Frank Naumann <fnaumann@boerde.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/2005 22:00:13
Hello!

> I find that a fascinating detail. Do you know of a comparable (12-port
> or more) escalde series which can support 12-drive or greater configs,
> and which also offers at least one of:
>
>  a) supports 2 or more RAID-5 sets with performance not less
>     than the `fast' set of der Mouse's setup (multiple hardware XOR engines,
>      or sharing a fater engine amongst multiple RAID sets?); or
>
>  b) Supports single RAID sets larger than 2TB?

The newer escalade 9000 series controller are able todo this (but I'm sure
they are not yet supported under NetBSD).

Another option is for sure to buy 3 escalade 4 port controllers, setup 3
raid5 arrays and stripe them logically in NetBSD.

Or use Raid 10 (create 6 Raid1 sets and stripe them). This is for sure the
fastest and most reliable solution (and the most expensive :-)). I don't
know if I would run a Raid5 with 12 drives (Raid5 tolerate only one drive
failure). That's why the newer escalade 9000 series support a so called
Raid50 mode (two or more Raid5 arrays that are striped).

Regards,
Frank