Subject: Re: Getting rid of /dev/veriexec
To: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/2005 07:35:22
On Dec 2, 2005, at 6:14 AM, Elad Efrat wrote:

> sysctl is an interface, and I see sysctl(8) as the control program for
> knobs that don't justify their own control program. In the future, I'm
> hoping to use sysctl entirely in netstat(1), but not collapsing
> netstat's functionality into sysctl(8)...

sysctl's use to e.g. read PCBs etc. is really because we don't have
another "good" way of doing it without groveling /dev/kmem.  (It has
a side benefit of having an explicit packing routine in the kernel so
that the information can be send back in an ABI-neutral way.)

I don't really like how we overload sysctl in this way.  Mach
messages are a much better way of doing this type of request/response
operation.  But we don't have Mach messaging, so we overloaded sysctl.

-- thorpej