Subject: re: Proposal: eliminate all macros in the kernel
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/2005 06:46:40
   On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:51:32AM +0100, Tonnerre LOMBARD wrote:
   > Salut,
   >
   > On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:30:08PM -0500, Jed Davis wrote:
   > > It Would Be Nice If the compiler could attempt to decide on its own
   > > whether a particular function should be inlined, since it's likely to
   > > know more about the situation on a given architecture than we do.
   >
   > That's exactly what happens. See -finline-limit.

   Yes, but only within a compilation unit.  There are compilers that do
   better as part of interprocerdural optimization during the link stage
   for an executable but our current GCC is not one.

actually, for our GCC, this is only within a function.  you need 3.4 or
newer to have the unit-at-a-time optimsation.  however, GCC has supported
feedback-directed complation for a while now, but it is not very well
tested and i'm pretty sure it doesn't work in 3.3.  see -fprofile-arcs.