Subject: Re: 2.0 and >2T filesystems
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/2005 15:19:23
>> Now, how do I *use* that, if disklabel won't accept values over
>> 2^32-1?  Is my only option to mkfs /dev/raid0d, or is there some way
>> to get a partition larger than 4294967295 sectors?
> One option might be to use the wedge support that's out there in
> current code (and perhaps in 3.x).  It's not fully-baked as far as I
> know, but I believe it can handle > 2T disks/partitions.  I don't
> know how much it's been exercised.

Well, I'm now just using /dev/raid0d, and it does what $WORK wants, so
I doubt I'll get a mandate to do anything as experimental as trying 3.x
or -current.  I'll certainly keep it in mind in case this proves
insufficient at some point.

I suppose I ought to also try ccd to see if its 32-bit limit was a
disklabel artifact, but "if it ain't broke...".  Also, the filesystem
is now being used (restore is writing to it), so I can't really start
doing further experiments casually.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign