Subject: Re: umass woe: sd0(umass0:0:0): readonly device & drive offline
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2005 18:07:50
--mrJd9p1Ce66CJMxE

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:27:11AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Simon Burge wrote:
> >Hubert- does the device come with its own Windows drivers, or do you
> >know if the windows copes on its own?  Also, do we know if Linux has
> >quirks to support this?  It would be great not to need the quirk,
> >but if there's really nothing we can do that I'm more than happy to
> >live with it.
>=20
> I plugged my camera into a Windows XP and some Gentoo(?) Linux today=20
> (rather recent kernel). Results:
> 1) It works flawless on Windows
> 2) It doesn't work on Linux. Can't mount, dmesg is attached below.
>=20
> Thinking about this, I think it depends on the device if a "Lock the=20
> door!" command should be treated as failure or not. I'd say it shouldn't=
=20
> be treated as a fatal error in all cases, but I could imagine that e.g. m=
y=20
> USB dishwasher should take the command serious or block, and not ignore i=
t=20
> and continue.

I think the problem is that your camera has a different idea as to what=20
"removable" media means. It's supposed to mean that there's a door and you=
=20
can take stuff out of the drive; after "removal," you still have a SCSI=20
device but it has no disk.

So locking the door makes a LOT of sense.

Your camera is using a different definition of removable, because you can=
=20
unhook the whole SCSI device from the computer. Unfortunately that's not=20
what the SCSI spec meant...

Take care,

Bill

--mrJd9p1Ce66CJMxE