Subject: Re: umass woe: sd0(umass0:0:0): readonly device & drive offline
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/14/2005 23:50:28
feyrer@cs.stevens.edu (Hubert Feyrer) writes:

>On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>> Now let me see if I can get this to work in my netbsd-2 branch sources...

>Confirmed working.
>I dare saying that this would work on the netbsd-3 branch too.

>which brings me to the question why that code was backed out (judging by
>the fact that the number for the quirk is unallocated). Maybe there's
>another solution than to put that back in? Or was that just never
>committed? (Seeing that the PR is in 'feedback' state)... Charles?

The code was backed out because it deemed unnecessary for standard
conforming devices. A better solution would be to find a standard
conforming way to detect such misbehaving devices to catch a large
group of them.
However in case of that PR this wouldn't be possible, because the
device resets itself for unimplemented commands.

My opinion is that we need the quirk.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de