Subject: Re: gcc4.0
To: Richard Earnshaw <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/02/2005 21:01:52
Richard Earnshaw a écrit :

> My personal feeling is that we should wait for 4.1 before switching, but
> that's mainly down to my paranoia about .0 releases.

Several months ago, I tested a pre-release against building the kernel.
At first, it did not work. Then it did. There was a bug, though, that I
reported and that was corrected and several syntax modifications.

But, more important, I wasn't able to really see a difference between a
kernel built by GCC 3.3 and by GCC 4.0. There is some fuss about the new
optimizing feature, but I remain a bit sceptical, until someone
definitely proves it really goes faster (on a i386 machine). I did not
do extensive testing though, so my advice is not worth a penny.

Vincent