Subject: ext2fs and largefile
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Naumann <fnaumann@boerde.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/08/2005 11:22:35
Hello!

I have a question about ext2fs and largefiles on it. Looks like it's not
really supported. I installed the e2fsprogs under NetBSD and created a
normally ext2 partition with mke2fs. It worked fine so far and was
perfectly accessible from NetBSD and WinXP. Under WinXP with the ext2
driver I copied a large file (above 4gb) into this partition. As side
effect the large_file bit in the features of the superblock is set
(EXT2_FEATURE_RO_COMPAT_LARGE_FILE). And now it's no longer accessible
from NetBSD (only read only mountable). But on automatic startup
fsck_ext2fs always fails and let the system go into single user mode.

/root>fsck_ext2fs /dev/wd0i
** /dev/rwd0i
BAD SUPER BLOCK: INCOMPATIBLE FEATURE BITS IN SUPER BLOCK
/dev/rwd0i: CANNOT FIGURE OUT FILE SYSTEM PARTITION

Btw. I'm running NetBSD 2.1 (RC3).

Regards,
Frank