Subject: Re: UFS ACLs and Extended attributes
To: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2005 13:46:46
On Sep 6, 2005, at 11:29 AM, Gordon Waidhofer wrote:

> No. I'm not. But that's a common first reaction. The notion
> that BSD extended attributes suffice as subfiles is a dead
> giveaway that there is hardship confusion in the midst.

This discussion is about ACLs, not about the method by which the ACLs
are stored.  You can store them in extattrs, you can store them in
subfiles (I prefer the term "named forks", myself :-), I don't care
(actually, I do care --- extattrs are much better for things like
ACLs, because they are clearly defined as "attributes", whereas
subfiles are in a grey area between "attributes" and "data").

Let's not beat the extattr horse any further... we can (and will)
have extattrs, and we can (and will) have named forks^W^Wsubfiles
(eventually).  I know of at least one file system in heavy use out
there in the world that has both, and I see no reason why the two
things are incompatible.

> Subfiles are accesses with read/write, can be arbitrary size
> (perhaps have holes), and contain opaque data (application
> meaningless to kernel and over-the-wire protocols). So too
> are the NFSv4 Named Attributes (that's the misnomer). BSD/Linux
> named "thingies" are accessed with get/set interfaces and are
> quite small.

Yes, I think we all understand the difference.

> Yes, the BSD/Linux named thingies may be useful internally
> to attach non-opaque (meaningful to kernel and over-the-wire
> protocols) attributes to a file (like ACLs). But they are
> completely useless for userland data. And you can't have both
> subfiles and named thingies coexist.

Nonsense!  The two can co-exist quite well together, and as I already
stated, there is a production file system out there in the world that
supports both simultaneously.

-- thorpej